International Laboratory Animal Technician Week
The first week in February is the international week for laboratory animal technicians. This calls for celebration and activities.
The International Laboratory Animal Technician Week is an annual week to draw attention to the important work of laboratory animal technicians and their importance in research. The concept started in the US in 1999 and is now known in large parts of the world.
The week is always the first week of February.
National meeting for animal technicians
The Swedish 3Rs Center is paying attention to the Laboratory Animal Technician week by arranging a national meeting in Stockholm, where animal technicians from all over the country can meet, share experiences and learn from each other.
They get to listen to lectures about legislation and estimation of animal's health. We will also hold a workshop about emotional loading in the work as animal technician.
Suggestion of activities
We also share suggestions for activities that quite easy can be done at a workplace. Here are some of them:
- Invite a researcher who has or has had a close collaboration with the animal technicians at the department, to tell how they have contributed to the research
- Let an animal technician go side-by-side with a researcher, for example by following a biopsy path from the mouse's ear to completed genotyping
- Invite employees to breakfast, lunch or coffee
- Run a quiz for animal technicians and researchers about laboratory animal knowledge, 3Rs and the workplace; give the animal technicians a chance to show their skill and area of knowledge
- Suggest a film time together: The Laboratory Rat: A Natural History by Manuel Berdoy, available at Youtube.