Importing used agricultural or forestry machines or vehicles to Sweden and the EU

Used machinery and vehicles can carry different kinds of pests as they are moved from one place to another. Therefore, you have to make sure that the machine or vehicle is cleaned properly before import. It should be free from soil and plant residues.

Machines and vehicles which are covered by the regulations

This applies to used agricultural and forestry machinery listed in Annex XI of Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/2072.

The documents you need

The EU has introduced a requirement that a phytosanitary certificate must accompany used agricultural and forestry machines when they are being imported from a country outside of the EU.

You need to apply for such a certificate from the Plant health authorities in the country of origin. If the machine is being imported from Norway you should contact Mattilsynet. You can find more info on their website.

The original phytosanitary certificate must accompany the machine during the shipment.

Used machines and vehicles that must be accompanied a phytosanitary certificate

The following used machines and vehicles must have phytosanitary certificates and must be reported for inspection by the Swedish Board of Agriculture. This applies to imports into the EU from all countries outside the EU except Switzerland.

Relevant machines and vehicles are identified by a CN code. Please note that this requirement only applies to machines and vehicles that have already been operated for agricultural or forestry purposes.

The tables below show the CN code and its respective description under Council Regulation (EEC) No 2658/87.

Agricultural, horticultural or forestry machinery for soil preparation or cultivation already having been operated; lawn or sports-ground rollers – already operated


CN code


ex 8432 10 00

Harrows, scarifiers, cultivators, weeders and hoes

ex 8432 21 00
ex 8432 29 10
ex 8432 29 30
ex 8432 29 50
ex 8432 29 90

Seeders, planters and transplanters

ex 8432 31 00
ex 8432 39 11
ex 8432 39 19
ex 8432 39 90

Manure spreaders and fertiliser distributors

ex 8432 41 00
ex 8432 42 00

Other machinery

ex 8432 80 00


ex 8432 90 00

Harvesting or threshing machinery, including straw or fodder balers; grass or hay mowers; machines for cleaning, sorting or grading eggs, fruit or other agricultural produce, other than machinery of heading 8437 – already operated


CN code

Straw or fodder balers, including pick-up

ex 8433 40 00

Combine harvesters-threshers

ex 8433 51 00

Root or tuber harvesting machines

ex 8433 53 10
ex 8433 53 30
ex 8433 53 90

Other agricultural, horticultural, forestry, poultry-keeping or bee-keeping machinery, including germination plant fitted with mechanical or thermal equipment; poultry incubators and brooders – already operated


CN code

Forestry machinery

ex 8436 80 10

Road tractors for semi-trailers

ex 8701 20 90

Agricultural tractors and forestry tractors,

ex 8701 91 10
ex 8701 92 10
ex 8701 93 10
ex 8701 94 10
ex 8701 95 10

Report the import

You must report your import using the web-based system Traces NT, no later than 13.00 on the weekday prior to the day of import.

If you are importing to another EU member state and your company is registered there, please contact the authorities in the importing country to get access to Traces NT.

Once you have reported your import in Traces NT you will get an ID-number, for example CHEDPP.SE.2021.0000123. Note this number.

If you are a private individual or just want to import a used machine at a single occasion, the Swedish Board of Agriculture can help you.

Contact us using e-mail or phone.

You can also contact an agent for assistance.

When you are at the border

Register your shipment with the Swedish Customs using the ID number you received in Traces NT.

Show the original phytosanitary certificate to the Customs. The Swedish Board of Agriculture inspects the phytosanitary certificate and in some cases there is also an inspection of the machine itself. These inspections are carried out on weekdays from 08:00 to 15:30. If the shipment is approved, the Swedish Board of Agriculture will issue a clearance via Traces NT and you can pass.

Revision date: 2022-05-17